Basic Program (50-60 min.)
Brian Lies takes students on an educational and entertaining journey into the world of writing and illustrating childrens books—from early “sloppy copies” of both words and pictures, through labor-intensive revisions, and finally to a finished book. Emphasis is placed on importance of details and word choice, and revision rather than innate talent.
Aspiring authors and illustrators will:
1) Learn about the work that goes into writing and illustrating a publishable childrens book
2) Learn about how an author revises writing
3) See plenty of original artwork:
• scribbly thumbnail sketches and re-worked rough drawings from Brian's books
• original, finished paintings
• work from current books-in-progress
• Brians own elementary school drawings (to PROVE that you dont have to be born “talented” to achieve high goals)
4) See a live drawing demonstration as Brian creates a new animal character with the assistance of the class.
• Up to five presentations per day
• Recommended for Grades K-6 (detail of topic coverage changes to fit grade level)